Historical Review of Wall Street Journal

Are you looking for a good quality newspaper? One that has a very reputable reputation and is well respected among readers, journalists and industry leaders? You may be thinking of the New York Times or a foreign publication. When, in fact it is a newspaper published right here in the United States. It is our very own Wall Street Journal.

I consider myself a newspaper "connoisseur," I like to read different newspapers from around the country or international ones. For instance, I like to read the New York Times, USA Today or even the local newspaper. Internationally, speaking I like to read the London Times. To me, out of this eclectic group one newspaper stands head and shoulders above the rest; you may be asking yourself which one it is. The newspaper I am talking about is the Wall Street Journal. I have been a subscriber to the Wall Street Journal for a long time. Later on in the article I will talk more about why I have been such a long and loyal subscriber to this particular newspaper. I want to take a brief amount of time and provide a little background information about the newspaper. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones and Company. Now, it is owned by News Corporation. News Corp is owned by media mogul, Rupert Murdoch. News corp. bought the Journal in May 2007. In addition, to be being published in the United States, there are Asian and European editions as well. The Wall Street Journal is the largest newspaper by circulation in the United States with 2.1 million copies and 400,000 online subscriptions.

Now, I would like to provide a brief history of the newspaper. The Wall Street Journal is a very old newspaper, it first started publishing in August 1889. That makes the newspaper 121 years old. That is really old, but because of its reputation and respect among different segments of society it is still relevant today, in 2010. I think that is quite an accomplishment. The newspaper was formed by three men in 1889, Charles Dow, Edward Jones, and Charles Bergstresser. The newspaper was originally started in 1882 by these men as a small publication titled Customer's Afternoon Letter. I find it absolutely amazing that it started as a small publication and evolved over the the years and morphed into the powerhouse that it is. It has helped for the paper to morph into a powerhouse by winning thirty three Pulitzer Prizes, the most recent one in 2007.

Now, that I have provided some historical background of my favorite newspaper, I will take some time to explain why it is my favorite newspaper. As I stated earlier in my review, I have been a loyal subscriber tot he Wall Street Journal for many years, and wouldn't give up my subscription for anything. I think now it is even more important than ever to keep abreast of all the economical and financial news. Even though the Journal is best known for its economic and business coverage, it also has national and international news as well. There is also an opinion-editorial section, a book review section and even a weather page.